VOLUNTEER YOUTH TELEPHONE MENTOR (18+)
"I love being able to support young people though what can be a very challenging time"
Telephone Mentors offer a listening ear to young people aged 11-25 for around 2-3 hours a week. // No Experience is necessary, all we need from you is the willingness to listen and learn. // Applicants should be able to volunteer on weekday evenings between 5 and 7pm
Click/Tap here to download an application form // Use the form at the bottom to message the team.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
- Join our team of Mentoring Gateway volunteers- providing 15 minute phone calls to young people on weekday evenings between 5pm and 7pm. Mentors provide committed, non-judgemental listening and support to young people aged between 11 and 25.
- The aim of mentoring is to help participants identify and achieve their own goals to progress towards a healthier or more stable lifestyle. From school work to family friction and mental health issues.
- During this time volunteers should aim to develop positive, supportive relationships with their mentee, to be a source of encouragement in order to help develop their self-esteem and confidence.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
We really value lived experience and welcome mentors from all walks of life. We are looking for...
- Friendly, enthusiastic volunteers who are ready to listen.
- To be a positive and active role model.
- To take part in supervision and training, including attending group development sessions.
- To adhere to the policies and practices of the scheme, laid out in the Handbook. In particular, to safeguard the welfare of young people and their families and prevent abuse.
- To keep records as required.
- Mentoring itself should take no more than 1 to 2 hours per week plus the odd check-in on the phone or by email with your team leader.
- We also encourage volunteers to take part in Group Development sessions which happen once a month.
- Full training will be given and consists of 6 weekday evening sessions.
- If you are unable to make all sessions a catch up will be provided.
- Also applicants should be aware that the average mentoring relationship lasts around 6 months and you should be available to commit to volunteering for that time.